Thursday, October 1, 2009

Garden therapy


The wonderful thing about gardening is that I am removed from radios, television and newspapers – except on Saturday when I indulge in the paper over a cup of well earned tea. So when I do get sidetracked by a newspaper article or a particularly lurid account of what the various political parties are doing, it is like having a rather cold, unpleasant shower. And I have to wonder how much of what happens is really true. The upside of not reading and listening to news the whole time is that I get to make my own decision about what is happening around me. Sure, we have clients who have been affected by the recession, but living in the countryside as I do, we perhaps have a more practical way of getting on with business. The upset in the financial markets has hit the cities particularly hard and London has been incredibly depressing to visit over the last year or so, although that is now changing, because despite whatever the pundits say we are still all here and alive. And no more so than in the beautiful weather we have been having.

That is one of the huge advantages of living in the country. It is very, very difficult to remain completely self-absorbed in misery when we have stunning sunsets such as the one last night; or you see a red kite sweeping over a late harvested field. Nature has a way of putting our lives into dramatic perspective. It is a shame that more of us don’t realise this.

No comments:

Post a Comment