Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Gardening ideas for Christmas presents

I don't know about you, but I find that whenever I am asked for ideas for Christmas my mind goes an instant blank, while the rest of the year my wishlist for the garden is forever growing. Here are a few suggestions for green-fingered Christmas lists and some of my reommended sites.

With all this rain, it really is a crime not to be collecting run-off from your roof into water-butts. Some of my more particular friends complain of the aesthetics of green plastic and I do know what they mean. But you can find beautiful examples made from recycled oak barrels – try www.oak-barrel.com for a wide range of sizes and tap options, starting at just £89 for a 40 gallon butt.

I first came across Green Gardener when I was researching sources of bugs for eco-pest control, but I am delighted to see that now their range includes all kinds of useful (and entertaining) products for the eco-gardener. If you have a friend or relative unhappy about putting food scraps into compost because of the faff involved, the Bokashi bin might be the perfect conversion tool! Completely sealed and unintrusive, this two-sided bin accelerates the composting of household scraps and is on offer now for £39. My favourite, however, on this site are Green Gardener's Camera Bird Boxes. Easily installed in the garden and connected up to a PC or TV, they come in black and white or colour versions. A wonderful present for the whole family that will come into its own through the Spring and early Sumer months - £139 for a colour version.

For all kinds of rustic presents, try www.plantstuff.com. Traditional wooden riddles for that perfect tilth start from £22, a Wellie Boot knocker can be yours for £10 and I also rather like the multi-coloured wellie-liners from Hunter, as the first frost arrives.

No comments:

Post a Comment